|Position Summary: HOPE Christian School: Fortis is seeking a strategic and dynamic Dean of Students to lead in upholding student culture for the Middle School. This is an ideal position for a strong teacher or leader who would like to gain experience and development in leadership, systems and project management and school culture. The Dean of Students will partner with the school team to ensure that all students show dramatic achievement gains and develop strong character skills in a loving and demanding environment to succeed in college and beyond. The Dean of Students leads the school-wide effort to create a Middle School culture that is aligned with the mission and core values of HOPE. The DOS is responsible for proactively encouraging and supporting students to engage in positive behavior and engaging families in furthering their child’s education. The DOS has a vision of excellence and leads the school in building and maintaining a positive, high-standards, achievement-oriented and unconditional loving school culture where students flourish.
In addition to serving on the school’s leadership team, the Dean of Students coaches teachers and facilitates high-impact professional development for staff focused on school culture and parent relationships. This position requires a creative and inspiring educator with adult leadership experience, high energy, excellent organizational abilities and a talent for creating a warm and supportive environment for children.
Establish a structured, positive and inspiring school culture:
Demonstrate exceptional teacher leadership:
- Work closely with Principal to establish a positive, structured, achievement-oriented, and creative school culture.
- Serve as the point person for dealing with behavioral crisis-intervention and acute behavioral issues.
- Be highly present and visible during school hours, relentlessly ensuring the school has an exceptional school culture.
- Ensure that behavioral expectations and school culture standards are met inside and outside of the classroom.
- Invest the scholars in caring deeply about the HOPE family, their own academic performance, graduating from college, and becoming the next generation of serving leaders in their communities.
- Lead recognition and celebration events and other school-wide culture-building activities and events ensure students find joy in learning and have fun.
- Coordinate and implement a school-wide behavior management system with meaningful incentives and consequences.
- Conduct regular school culture walkthroughs to help staff maintain a high bar of excellence.
- Supervise school entry, breakfast, lunch, dismissal, and transitions to ensure they are orderly and positive.
Serve as an active member of the school leadership team:
- Train teachers to develop clear and consistent classroom expectations and routines.
- Coach teachers, observe lessons and provide targeted, actionable feedback .
- Model great instruction in teaching.
- Act as a resource to teachers in their instructional practice, as it relates to issues of discipline, relationships with students, classroom management, and school culture.
- Lead staff efforts to ensure all students have excellent attendance and arrive at school on time, and working aggressively with students and parents to ensure excellent attendance.
Desired Skills and Characteristics:
- Participate in regular leadership team meetings.
- Lead staff trainings at start and end of school year and on professional development days.
- Develop a parent leadership team, enlisting volunteers to play an active role in the direction of the school and coordinate family activities.
- Assist teachers, students, and parents in the effective creation and implementation of individual behavior plans.
- A demonstrated passion for and commitment to the mission of HOPE Schools to build a high-performing, growing network of schools that dramatically impact students’ academic and character development.
- Strong instructional and classroom management skills.
- Focus on a systems-oriented approach to student, classroom, and school culture.
- Strong organization, planning, and time management skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, and strong interpersonal skills with students, families, colleagues, and community members
- A tireless work ethic, entrepreneurial spirit, and innovative solution finder.
- Serving Leader able to continually confront the brutal facts, inspire, equip, and support the school to achieve its mission
- Proven ability to proactively lead by example, effectively manage adults, and respond positively to feedback.
- Excellent communication skills with diverse constituents (teachers, parents, children board members); clear writer, facilitator and public speaker.
- Personal qualities: passionate, relentless work ethic, humility, positive in the face of incredible challenges, joyful, loving, and “roll-up-my-sleeves” attitude.
Anticipated Start Date: July 2017
- At least 3 years of teaching experience in an urban setting with exceptional results is required.
- A bachelor’s degree from a competitive college or university; master’s degree preferred.
- Experience in leading and managing adults is preferred.
Compensation: HOPE Christian Schools offers comprehensive benefits including medical, dental and vision.